This picture shows a view from Custom House Quay in Greenock, Inverclyde, perhaps a place used for contemplation by many people. It has one of Inverclyde’s finest esplanades in front, from which there is a delightful view of the opposite coast. The main town which is seen from this Inverclyde location is the premier west coast resort of Helensburgh.
Helensburgh’s place as one of the premier west coast resorts was secured with the arrival of the Glasgow, Dumbarton and Helensburgh railway in 1858 with a station in the centre of the town. This was later than the first railway station to be operated in Inverclyde, in 1841.
Shortly afterwards a new pier was built to serve the demand for steamer services to many destinations on the Clyde, Loch Long and beyond. And in 1894 a second, upper, railways station came to Helensburgh, on the line from Glasgow to Fort William and Oban.
Helensburgh today continues to offer excellent rail links to Glasgow, Fort William and Oban, though the passenger ferries that once ran across the Clyde from Inverclyde ceased to operated in 2012. There is no ferry in operation for passengers from Inverclyde. It is also ideally placed for the motoring visitor, close to Loch Lomond and a good touring base for a large part of western Scotland.
Kilcreggan is the nearest location to Helensburgh which can be accessed from an Inverclyde ferry. This is for foot passengers only and a bus journey will entail to reach Helensburgh.
The town offers a range of shopping to suit most tastes and needs, and some very nice architecture. The highlight is Hill House. This was completed in late 1903 for the Glasgow publisher Walter Blackie and designed by the architect Charles Rennie Mackintosh. Today it is in the care of the National Trust for Scotland.